Re: Jreceiver...

  • Subject: Re: Jreceiver...
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:24:08 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Richard Malcolm-Smith <rich@i...> wrote:
> Im just venturing into installing this now.

Good :-)

> I think I have it working, the jave console is scrolling
> past the paths of my  music, but it seems to be doing it
> incresibly slowly, it looks like its only scanning 5-6 files
> per second, and thats on the local machine. When I use
> foobar2000 or winamp to open files over the lan, it will
> read 100s in a matter of seconds.

Alas, this seems to have got slower on Windows since the tag-parsing
was moved out of the JReceiver core and into Ptarmigan (a more generic
set of Java/SAX libraries.) I _think_ that this is down to the Sun
JVM, but I've never quite been worried enough about it to seriously
start digging.

> I have kind of being thrown in the deep end with this, is
> there any good windows oriented tutorials on how to use
> mysql from within delphi? All the docs I can find are
> linux based, at best with a little "things that are
> different for windows" section, thats largly incorrect.

The short answer seems to be "ignore the fact that it's MySQL, and
write to ODBC", then install the MySQL ODBC driver, and you're away.

Yes, I am well aware that cramming complex stuff down an ODBC
connection can be crippling, but in practice, I've found it OK (albeit
from VB rather than Delphi.)

> Also, whats with all the environment variables that have to be set?
> This seems to be a relic of the bad old dos days..

Alas, it's a relic of the *nix days. It's one of the bits of
"DNA"
that DOS inherited from shell scripts. Environment variables are alive
and kicking in the Linux world... so applications that are written in
a platform-independant way tend to stick with them.

I still, even after all these years, find the registry abhorent. I'm
actually coming round to the .NET way of storing configuration
information as rather nice, but that's another argument for another day.

Anyway, hope this helps... Don't hesitate to post any questions here
or on the JRec list.

Mark Harrison
Windows Documentation co-ordinator, the JReceiver project.