RE: Internet Radio Stand-Alone Player

  • Subject: RE: Internet Radio Stand-Alone Player
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:50:53 +0100

From: Bricknell, Tony [mailto:tony.bricknell@xxxxxxx]
> Any recommendations?
>
> Ideally I want something as simple as plugging a network cable in the
back
> and selecting a radio channel using the front panel display/buttons.
Don't
> suppose I'd be able to get anything more wife friendly than that... !

Can't think of something that doesn't also require a PC somewhere, but
possible options:

Standalone MP3 Player:
SliMP3 will play Internet radio stations, and I expect others will too.

PC in a suitable case with and LCD front-end to an MP3 player:
There's loads of these projects around.  WinAmp has an LCD plugin, and will
happily play Internet radio.  Simply build a Win98 machine that loads
WinAmp on boot with a playlist of all your radio stations.  Use one of the
many input plugins to run through the list, and display them using the LCD
plugin.  Of course, this'll require a nice box to put it in, and a bit of
work to make it silent.  You may prefer the option above ;-)

Cheers,
Andy
--
http://www.andylaurence.co.uk