Re: OT? Hard Bouncing from Yahoo Groups

  • Subject: Re: OT? Hard Bouncing from Yahoo Groups
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:04:20 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings"
<nigel.giddings@u...> wrote:
> Can anyone explain why Yahoo keeps disconnecting me from the group.
>
> Yahoo tells me:
>
> Remote host said: 550 No Message-ID and/or Date header given [BODY]
>
> Which sounds as if a Yahoo message is missing something when
> its sent to my ISP...

Not quite - Yahoo doesnt add the Message-ID header, it comes from
the original email message for stuff submitted to the group via
email, rather than the web interface.

There have been six messages without message-IDs during this month.

You should grumble at your ISP, as RFC2822 (the latest incarnation
of RFC822, the definition of email message formats) says:

3.6.4. Identification fields

Though optional, every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field.
Furthermore, reply messages SHOULD have "In-Reply-To:" and
"References:" fields as appropriate, as described below.

SHOULD is different to MUST.  Its not quite optional, but it is
acceptable for Message-ID not to be there.

Thus as these fields are not mandatory, they should not prevent
delivery of the mail.  Returning a 550 code is correct however, as
they are refusing to deliver for "policy reasons".

The folks who have sent messages this month without Message-IDs are:

Alex Clark
Stephen Jones
Jon Whiten
Alex Monaghan