Server keepalive using HV or Comfort

  • Subject: Server keepalive using HV or Comfort
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:17:04 +0100

There was a recent thread about monitoring a PC from HV or Comfort and
rese=
tting the PC if it stopped responding. Unfortunately I don=92t run the
soft=
ware that was used in the answer so I thought I=92d ask here if anyone
does=
something I can use.

I have a W2K SERVER running all my HA apps and home business apps as
follow=
s:

Exchange Server 2003
DNS
DHCP
ACE (connected to HV Pro and Comfort)
ACE Text to Speech
HV Desktop connected to HV Pro
FTP Server
IIS
Telcanto music server
Wnamp
Etc=85

Comfort and HV Pro are also connected directly

I=92m aware that all my eggs are in the one basket but can=92t spare the
sp=
ace for yet another PC. The server is a dual processor machine and runs OK
=
most of the time although it has locked up a couple of times over the last
=
year (one being last night =96 probably because it got too hot =96
processo=
rs were over 50deg).

So I was thinking of connecting the reset switch to either HV Pro or
Comfor=
t to reset it when it stops responding to something in Comfort or HV
(using=
the s/w I already have preferably). I want this solution to be pretty reli=
able though as resetting an Exchange server when it doesn=92t need
resettin=
g is a very bad idea! I wouldn=92t want the server to reboot just because
t=
he PC software part of the monitoring solution has locked up but nothing
el=
se.

So, any ideas?

Thanks,