Help setting up broadband

I know if I'm probably being thick here, but can anyone help confirm if a
WRT54G broadband router and DSL-300G+ will work together. I know I'll be
able to use the modem directly connected to my PC but I also want to go
wireless. The router has a modem port marked as well as the 4 switch ports,
so do I simply plug the modem into the socket as marked or into one of the
switch ports? The 300G instructions do say it's only meant for a direct
single PC connection and that a future firmware upgrade should add multiple
access support via LAN. However the modem is no longer listed on the UK
website, only the 300T which is the current model I suppose.

The modem has the connection details set up but do I also need to put them
into the router as well (assuming I can just link them together)?

Or should I just Ebay the router & modem and buy a combined unit
instead?

PS I bought the router when I expected to be using a wireless broadband
service in the town that started up 6 months back and supplied a suitable
modem as part of the deal. No surprises for guessing that I don't have line
of sight therefore could not get the service :-( Now that good old BT has
upgraded the local exchange I'll be activated on Monday so am starting to
get organised in anticipation!

Neil B.