Latest message you have seen: RE: Strong stick no-residue tape

Re: Wireless LAN and Wireless X10/Home Automation

  • Subject: Re: Wireless LAN and Wireless X10/Home Automation
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:17:33 -0000

Robin

It's unlikely (he says boldly) that you will get interference from=20
your wireless alarm and a wireless LAN as they will be on different=20
frequencies.=20=20

Probably the easiest route for you at this stage is to get a wireless=20
access point.  This will plug into a spare port on your existing=20
switches and you have effectively extended you wired LAN to=20
wireless.  An 802.11b (11Mbs) will do for your application so you may=20
be able to find a cheap one. (I bought a US Robotics AP from ebyer a=20
while back for about =A320 - they don't seem to have any at this price=20
at the moment but there are some for about =A335)

Good luck

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, robin <robin@j...> wrote:
> Folks, I'm currently using Misterhouse,  with W800RF to communicate=20
with=20
> Hawkeye PIRs.  I've just got a laptop with built-in wireless LAN=20
and so=20
> thinking about buying something to allow me to connect this to my=20
house=20
> LAN/switches without needing cables. Currently, the LAN is two=20
8port switches=20
> (one Belkin one Netgear).=20=20
>=20
> So, if I go down this route are there likely to be RF conflicts,=20
with one=20
> upsetting the other, second what would people suggest, I'm happy to=20
swap one=20
> of the switches to a new switch that is wireless capable if thats=20
the right=20
> route, or get some thing else.  I dont have broadband as the=20
exchange wont be=20
> enabled until Jun '05 but again would be happy to prebuy in=20
anticipation of=20
> that. Btw my server (MH, printing, ISDN sharing, Slimserver) is=20
Mandrake 9.1=20