Re: Total internal VOIP?

  • Subject: Re: Total internal VOIP?
  • From: Richard Malcolm-Smith <rich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:37:30 +1300

Jon Whiten wrote:

> Do you mean something like this
> http://www.voiptalk.org/products/product_info.php?products_id=135
?

no, thats wifi - a protocol never designed for voice usage patterns, Look
at the
awefull standby times for an example. If you talked for 2 hours, you would
only
then have about 12 hours of standby left. Hardly exciting, and the handset
is
somewhat large.

Wifi also seems to have a much shorter range then dect, Sure, you can
possibly
knock the IP phone back to 1 meg like the cisco ones do (If I recall right)
-
but that will make the AP useless for everyone else to use.

Dect is designed for cordless phones, it has much better standby times, and
theres no QOS to worry about with others using the same AP making your
packetloss go to shit. While there are QOS standards on the way, I think
all
your wireless devices will have to support it.

I want to locate something that will have ethernet on one end, and an
antenna on
the other, perhaps a web interface to allow me to associate handsets with
it,
and then it, and any others that I configure the same will work together to
make
each dect handset appear as an independant SIP phone to the asterisk box,
Im
sure there would be a little more to it then that, but you get the idea.