Re: Re: Driving me mad

Young, Jeff wrote:

> Turned out it was actually my
> long lost work pager ( set to vibrate only mode ) that had dropped
down the
> side of the bed and become wedged in the frame.

My partner is Deaf, and as such has a vibrating alarm clock of purest
evil (flashing lights tend to provoke her hide-under-duvet reflex).
While these work well for their intended purpose (ie. scaring the crap
out of you by vibrating your skull first thing in the morning), they
have a tendency to escape from under the pillow and fall down behind the
bed.

In her previous house, this was relatively harmless as it would vibrate
innefectually on the floor, leading the housemate in the room below[0]
to assume that it was some kind of sex toy and be too embarrassed to ask
what the noise was[1].

In our current house, it tended[2] to wedge itself between the bed and a
plasterboard wall, making the loudest buzzing noise I ever had the
misfortune to encounter before 8am.  Of course, since she can't feel the
vibration, it tends to be me digging through her bedding in order to
kill the noise that wakes her up...

kim.
xxx

[0] Christian with strong views about sex-before-marriage.  We suspect
he had a one-track mind.

[1] We found this amusing.

[2] I've since replaced the alarm clock with a DIY vibrating pad[3],
which is linked into my home-brew alerting/automation system[4].  So
this is on-topic really :).

[3] 3V DC motor with a single 5A terminal block screwed to the shaft as
a convenient asymmetrical weight, mounted in a plastic box of a size
that tends to stay under the pillow.  Surprisingly vicious.

[4] Lots of PICs, cat5 and buggy code.