Re: Re: AVR300 now [ADVERT] Ethernet to Serial Adaptors

Hi Paul,

Yes they have a piece of Windows software called 'Redirector' that
basically maps a serial port within Windows to an IP address and an
MSS100. You  create virtual ports in Windows eg COM7 or COM66 to
accomplish this. Whenever your application opens the port it just uses
the MSS100 automatically, transparently connecting to the Ethernet
serial port and the remote device . The MSS100 can be remote (anywhere
on the internet) indeed two MSS100 can connect to each other to form a
serial tunnel  if you wanted, no PC required.  They also support one to
many operation.

This works with virtually all Windows applications nowadays -
however it is to do with the way the application is written & how it
accesses the serial ports - Anything that runs under recent Windows
versions (postWin 98 -  eg NT XP 2000 2003 ME) should be fine. Some
older apps were able to write directly to serial I/O hardware and bypass
the OS which could cause problems. However there are almost none of
these apps now remaining.  These work well with HomeVision, Comfort,
Meteor CID, Alarm panels, HiFi Amps, VIOM , printers etc.  If anyone
ever had a problem with a  particular application I would always refund
anyway- but so far I haven't had a single return and there's a couple of
hundred out there in UKHA land .

BTW  Laser have them on their site to for anyone who prefers to purchase
using credit cards.

Kevin

Product details on the Lantronics site here *

http://tinyurl.com/3spjh*

Paul Gale wrote:

>Refresh my mind Kevin - do these come with a Windows driver to allow a
serial application to access them over the network? Do they work with any
application?

<steve.abbott@f...>

the Arcam

>>>that

connector

>>>could do

protocol and

>>>xAP/xPL.

>>>your network!

the

>>>capability. The

that you can

>>>get

implementation is

>>>not

you found any

somewhere....

>>>~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion
Toolbar.