Re: Driving me mad

  • Subject: Re: Driving me mad
  • From: "David Amphlett" <dave_yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:11:34 -0000

Probably totally off base but are you 100% certain it isn't a water /
central heating pipe - had one making a mildly high almost silent
whine-ing noise for a while which I was convinced was something I'd
left under the floorboards whilst wiring. Had the floor boards up,
couldn't identify where exactly the noise was coming from. Hunted
around for ages during which I leaned on a central heating pipe and
it stopped immediately! Fiddled with the pipe trying to get it to
make the noise again to be certain it was that but couldn't do it.
Haven't heard it since. Of course I could be going mad!

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Pete Shew" <ukha_d@s...> wrote:
> I have a sound that I cant locate. It is a "meem" rather
than
a "peep" and seems to be around 440Hz (A above middle C, if my
musical memory serves.)

> It occurs every 173.5 seconds!
>
> It appears to be above the kitchen, but can't be localised. In the
room above it can be heard more faintly.

> It's fairly quiet, so can't be heard if there is TV, radio, washing
up etc.

> It continues even with the power turned off at the main breaker !!!
>
> The only other power is the battery to the alarm system. The
control box and sounder are some distance away and the sound cannot
be heard there, but there is a IR detector near the sound.