Re: building a house..

  • Subject: Re: building a house..
  • From: "egelbeertje" <r_d_k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:57:50 -0000

Hi Tom,

As far as cabling goes - ther is a rule outhere especially for cat 5 -
to put twice as much as you think you're going to need and then=20
double it.

Talking from experience - we build our house 4 years ago and I only=20
applied the first part of that rule - reason for me hacking through=20
full concrete walls & ceiling and replastering every so often now.

I resorted to x10 because of lack of cat5 in uncommon places - no=20
real problems over the 2 years I use it now - but then it was a brand=20
new electricity layout and I have everything hard wired as backup (a=20
real switch to control the x10 rail dimmers etc which required=20
another bit of hacking & plastering)

Another tip - make sure you have enough wall sockets - the missus=20
thought I was crazy when I asked the electrician to triple the amount=20
of wall sockets - and now she's the one adding splitters to every=20
socket since she likes the fancy lights around the house and changes=20
them position every week or so - she just had to get used to it I=20
guess but is thankful now ;-)

hope this helps.

rgds Rob

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tom Young <tyoung@u...> wrote:
>=20
> Hi folks =96 I could use your advice. I'm in the USA, building a
new=20
> house, and am going to have a limited budget for "low
voltage"=20
features=20
> ( telephone, security system, computer networking, TV cable, sound=20
> system, and home automation basically) =96 in the neighborhood of=20
$2.50=20
> per square foot. I need to spec everything out for the=20
subcontractor, at=20
> his request. I've read a few books now on home automation, most of=20
which=20
> conflict with each other, so I'm hoping to tap into the collective=20
> wisdom of this place.
>=20
> My priorities are to have some phone service, a security system,=20
and a=20
> house-wide computer network. I'll have a satellite dish of some=20
sort,=20
> and a need to distribute video around the house. I also plan to=20
have a=20
> whole-house digital sound system eventually, and want to dabble in=20
> automating various aspects of the house, but these seem to lie=20
outside=20
> my budget at this point. So what do I put in the contract for the=20
> builder and/or sub?
>=20
> What I have so far:
>=20
> Wall jacks
> For phone, computer, TV and maybe future CCTV use, I'm planning to=20
spec=20
> for 6-jack multi-function wall plate with one pair of cat5e, one=20
pair of=20
> quad-shield RG6, a pair of extra pull-strings, terminating in RJ-
45's,=20
> F-connectors & a couple of blank plugs for later expansion. I
want=20
to=20