Re: TV Killed by Lightening

Ben McCormack wrote:

> Hi All
> I am hoping that someone can help me.
> We had a thunderstorm today.
> Now I have come home this evening and the TV will not turn on, it
makes
> the usual clicking TV turning on sounds but never quite comes on, then
> it tries to come on again and this carries on going around.
> Now I am guessing that the TV has been 'hit' by lightening so to
speak.
> Now a simple question. Are TVs usually totally killed by this? or is
it
> likely to be an internal fuse?

If it really has been hit by lightning, then various bits of the
internals will now be a guey stick mess of sand and melted plastic. If
it's not taken out anything else attached to the tv (eg video, STB,
anything else on the same ring main...), consider yourself very lucky!

A guy at work lost his tv, ntl stb, cable modem, and dvd player, and the
strike was to a block of flats a short distance away (which then caught
fire)...

I don't think your chances of resurrecting it will be very good - or
rather the cost to find which bits are non-functional and replace them
is probably more than a new one would cost.

Check your insurance though, you may be covered...

Jim