Latest message you have seen: RE: Fw: Remote Control

Re: Event scheduling and reminders

Many thanks, this sounds like the way to go. I'm not really concerned
with work-type appointments, with their frequent changes, as I use my
Palm for this.  My main concern is with routine tasks around the house
that can't easily be automated (like checking the gas tank level
monthly), and which keep getting forgotten, so using Outlook as the
trigger would probably be OK.  Looks like I may have to brush the dust
off my VB after all. :-(

Martin

Paul Gordon wrote:

>There are several ways to go about this...
>
>You can do it "from" the outlook side, by writing an add-in
for outlook
>to intercept the various events firing (reminders etc.) then get it to
>do something HA-ish as a result.
>
>Alternatively, you can call in to outlook from an external app, (even
VB
>script), and pull out appointment & reminder details etc. I have
>previously done this as part of my morning wake-up alarm script running
>under Homeseer (the script is a normal VB script though, so should be
OK
>with pretty much any windows app). Each morning the script opens my
>outlook calendar and reads out any appointments I have set for the day
>ahead.
>
>Using the 2nd method obviously means that you can't really use Outlook
>as the triggering mechanism, since you need your external app to poll
>the calendar to get the details, so you'd have to have it constantly
>polling to pick up any updates to your schedule.
>
>If you were running Homeseer, there is already an Outlook integration
>plugin available that does all if this and more...
>
>http://www.homeseer.com/products/plugins/rocoutlook/
>
>HTH
>
>Paul G.

Homeseer to
>>>announce outlook reminders via TTS over the whole-house
speakers and