Re: IP Cameras for occupancy detection.

  • Subject: Re: IP Cameras for occupancy detection.
  • From: "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:40:43 -0000

Kevin,

I noticed that they are MJPEG, but I sort of guess they have to be in
order=
enable individual frames to be placed on a web server etc ?
I didn't notice the shipping costs.. I thought it was lower than that but
m=
ust
have been mistaken. I was thinking of using PC based motion detection
softw=
are
rather than the cameras it should be able to "see" smaller
amounts of movem=
ent
than a PIR.

I just bought 4 PYRONIX OCTOPUS Ceiling mounted PIRs, on eBay, to
"test" fo=
r use=20
as "occupancy" detectors. Wiring one up to a 9v power supply and
walk testi=
ng it
seems to be pretty good..

I'd be interested in trying the ecolume ones as well, so put me down for 1
if I'm not too late :)

Marcus=20

From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxx>
Hi Marcus,
=20
Note the cameras uses MJPEG and not MPEG so the bandwidth on the network=
=20
is high and the frame rate correspondingly lower,, - also quite=20
expensive shipping at =A335 per unit - but camera seems well priced..  Th=
e=20
night vision seems to be via the IR leds rather than high sensitivity on=
=20
the CCD , it is a colour CCD so this may be an issue in a darkened (even=
=20
pitch black) room but you could add some more IR leds if needed.
=20
Not sure how good motion detection will be and you will still have the=20
'asleep on sofa' problem - it's a shame there isn't a good system for=20
comparing images over a longer time for this purpose.  Lights coming on=20
tend to fool motion sensing cameras too. and the units will be rather=20
obtrusive - 'big brother' style
=20
I have a about a dozen requests for the sensors that Simon was using -=20
if I can get half a dozen more I will risk ordering the 25 off min=20
quantity - any takers ? - they are circa =A330 ea, in  ceiling mount.
=20
Kevin