Re: Freeview or sky dish with free-to-air

  • Subject: Re: Freeview or sky dish with free-to-air
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:46:40 -0000

> Call me a tightwad, but CBeebies and CBBC are the best children's
> channel available and free on Freeview.

Lee,

Whether or not you are a tightwad is entirely irrelevant :-)

However, I absolutely agree that CBeebies and CBBC are utterly
superior to the commercial children's channels on Sky.

We have Freeview at home, and I am comfortable with everything that
CBeebies broadcast for Pippa (age 2).

I am quite disturbed by the rubbish that my nephew and niece watch on
"Nick Junior" (I may have the name slightly wrong) on Sky. Quite
apart
from the advertising every few minutes, the programs seem centred
around American spelling and pronounciation [1], and around American
ultra-consumerist values.

Pippa isn't quite at CBBC age yet, but I've watched it a couple of
times, and am quite impressed at the quality of the programming.

Mark "the pushy parent" Harrison

[1] It will prove doubly ironic if I've spelling that word
incorrectly.  UKHA IRC members should already be aware of the single irony