Re: asterisk, Looking for a step by step guide...

Hiya Nigel,
I have * running too - works well for me! Followed Andys guides (
http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm
) and didn't have any
problems getting the demo system up and running - using RedHat 9 as a
base. The only thing is I added during the install, was a few extra bits
to help out with the Cisco phones.

Its currently running on a 'borrowed' pc from work (P III 800mhz) and
doesn't have any problems - I cant get the CPU usage over 5%!. Its using
a clone analogue line card (from ebay) plugged into my NTL phone line -
with caller display working!

I've a few cisco phones hooked off it with intercoms set up between
rooms - can dial/receive FWD (internet voip) numbers (I don't have a SIP
firewall atm so its done by FWD) - access BT's 'e'directory (although
thats a phone feature not really *) - music on hold for inbound callers
- I can even display caller ID on my SliMP3. Blacklist number screening
and email notification of voice mail received into the 'general'
voicemail - operating as an answering machine.
( theres a few context examples here you may find useful -
http://www.planetwayne.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
)

My network setup is literally my Vigor 2200we router hooked into the
back of my NTL cable modem - and a SERIOUS shortage of cat5 points!

The only drawback that I have found, is not from the system, but from
family getting an announcement and music when they dial us - they cant
understand it!!

Have Fun!
Wayne.
(what an excellent boot screen that LiveCD has!)

Nigel Giddings wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A month or so ago I dabbled with Asterisk (VoIP PBX) without much / any
success.

>I am afraid my Linux experience is very limited which seems to be a
sticking point. I tried to use Red Hat and while I could download most of
the files needed I was obviously missing something...

>I have a dedicated PC which I was going to give over to the job (would
it be possible to run Zone Minder on the same machine ?)... I think the
proccessor is 633Mhz, but this is really a proof of concept at this
stage...

>Also interested to hear from those who use it whether they have it
inside thier LAN, behind a firewall. I am using ISA at the moment.