RE: Node 0 layout ?

  • Subject: RE: Node 0 layout ?
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:26:19 -0000

Marcus,

If you look at commercial installations they tend to use raised floors
which allow cables to be routed straight up into cabinets. In my last place
of work the raised floor was about 1 metre off the actual floor to allow
for Power, Cat5, Fibre, DC etc. and it was still crowded in there...
However, yo my knowledge no domestic node 0 has a raised floor, yet ?

My advice would be to do what BT used to do, that is install racking / tray
or basket above the equipment and cable down. Of course either way you need
more than 6ft of head room...

I have installed two levels of ceiling mounted cable routes, a lower tray
for Data / RF and DC and a higher level for AC Supply in trunking. This is
in Trunking to help reduce any unwated Electro Magnetic Interferance. AC
power from the tunking is routed down in flexible conduit. The other cables
are just bundled.

I also have a wall where I have located my AC Distribution board for the
house, this is supplied with  75x75 (3"x3") trunking from one
side and along the lower middle. with Traywork feeding in from the top.
Again the idea is to minimise any chance of Mains AC being near DC / Data
Cabling.

Just in case you haven't seen the photos you can see them here..

http://photos.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo_163.html
Traywork suspended from ceiling

http://photos.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo_178.html
Wall showing split between AC and Data Cables. Note boxes that require
access to both between Tray and Tunking.

Nigel

Nigel