Re: Newbie lighting automation queries

John Gorst wrote:
> What would be the problem with X10? I am thinking of doing some
> automation soon, probably on a smaller scale. X10 seems well
supported?

Reliability!

You will get a much more reliable X10 system if you are doing a full
install with LD11s, home run wiring, momentary switches etc, but in my
experience so far I've found retrofit X10 to be hit and miss.....

In my 1 bed flat at the moment (so not a vast expansive area for the
signals to get lost in!) I have an LD11 connected directly to a lamp
that worked fine for a while, and then started occasionally not
responding to CM12 control, but always responding to IR control (IR
controller in the same room), then stopped responding to CM12
completely, now doesn't respond to IR control. LW11 on wall in living
room which intermittently will respond to CM12 only, or IR only, or
neither (most of the time I end up off my seat just changing it manually
:( )

I really should do some analysis on it (ie unplug everything and plug
things in gradually :/ )... at first I thought it was the CM12 on the
way out, but don't know if that would cause the IR problem, and some of
my X10 eg (RF PIR -> RF receiver -> CM12 -> Homeseer Macro ->
CM12 -> a
different LW11) works fine 99%+ of the time.... :/

The structure of my flat (red sandstone) means that retro-fitting C-Bus
would be a red dust filled nightmare that I really don't fancy..... roll
on the RF C-Bus (and the funds to buy it! ;-> )

Cheers
--
Doogie