Re: Fw: Alternate to Xantech IR ?

  • Subject: Re: Fw: Alternate to Xantech IR ?
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 09:14:38 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Gareth Cook <g@u...> wrote:
> Yeah, thats stuff's good. It's only the receiver I want to change

The thing about Xantech - it is the receiver that _is_ Xantech, and
thats why the Xantech system works.  All the smarts are in the
receiver.  Take away the receiver, and you have LEDs (commodity),
and the junction boxes (nowt but a few sockets plus resistors).

Just a note on the side - my standard recommendation with Xantech is
to throw away the freebie Xantech connecting boxes, and substitute
them with the Buffalo Electronics connection boxes, which are
amplified, and thus reduces the current flowing through the wiring
at the IR switching speed, usually 40KHz, but often much higher.
The reduction in current flow cleans up the edges of the pulse
transitions, even over quite short wiring runs.

Even more money, I'm afraid :-) $30 a piece, never did find a non-
USA source.

http://www.smarthome.com/8191.HTML

Also, russound and niles IR kit is compatible with Xantech.  Hell,
the same company makes some of it...