RE: Compaq Proliant Server help

  • Subject: RE: Compaq Proliant Server help
  • From: "michael.furlong" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 21:10:27 +0100

Matt,

not sure about the 3000 but the ml350 scsi models are very anti ide discs
this might be a problem if you want to put in large cheap discs.

I had a problem last week where I wanted to install an ide drive in a caddy
to use for removable back-ups. Turns out the inbuilt ide interface on the
ML350 and several other proliant models is only for the CD-Rom drive.

There were two motherboard connectors but neither would work with the ide
drive. Apparently the motherboard ide is what they call a basic ide
controller which can't handle hard drives. Probably done that way to ensure
hp/compaq sell loads of expensive scsi drives.

It may be possible to install an ide card and attach extra drives to it but
people have had limited success with these as well. In particular the boot
order can be very difficult to get right.

I am going to try and get this to work this weekend so if anyone is
interested I will report back.

Again not sure about the 3000 but generally proliants are well built, easy
to work on and very reliable.

Cheers
Mick