Re: Re: Wired Dimming / Switching

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 2:35 AM
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Wired Dimming / Switching

wrote:
> > I'm at the point of replacing my X10 gear upstairs with a
> > wired solution ... Would C-Bus be suitable?
>
> Without a shodow of a doubt
>
> > Are there any other (cheaper) solutions?,
>
> Most solutions, espeicially those employing a tad of DIY will be
> cheaper.  Thats not to say the CBus kit is a ripoff, its quality
> commercial stuff.

Yes, I know it's good quality.  That was made very clear when I first
joined
the group ;-)

> > I'll need to replace 4 dimmers and 6 appliance modules
>
> Yers... A four channel 2A per circuit dimmer would do nicely, or if
> all loads are less than 1A than you can get an 8 x 1A for about the
> same money.
>
> And just to make sure we're all on the same page, you do know you'll
> have to rewire...

That's why it's an "upstairs only" solution for me.  It's too
late to rewire
(already decorated), but I have access to the upstairs lighting from the
loft.  The main problem I've been having with X10 is the lag with the
bathroom lights.  For some reason, guests seem able to cope with it when
using a push button, but if a pull cord doesn't get an instant response, it
gets yanked again!  Fixing that is enough for me at the moment.

> > ... will need to be controlled from my PC via RS232 or LAN.
> >  I use my own software for control, so whatever system I
> > choose, it will need to have a documented interface.
>
> It is non-trivial to get hold of the "native CBus protocol
> documentation.  However, there is a PC based interface thing called
> CGate, with open documentation, which would (assuming you're a
> windows user) allow you to integrate CBus to your PC.  I'm sure a
> knowledgable CGate user will be along soo to offer advice on that
> front.  I dont have one, so I dont know much about it!
>
> However, when you say controlled by your own software, is that your
> sole means of control?  If so, you can use other technologies such
> as DMX512 or MIDI which for a PC controlled system may well have a
> lower cost.  A four channel DMX dimmer is a quarter of the price of
> the CBus unit.

What I need is instantaneous local control from momentary switches, even if
the PC is off (so I still have lights if the PC fails).  Remote dimming
would go via the PC, because I can then relay the commands from the
existing
X10 RF remotes to whatever the new system is.

I could do a PIC based solution, but I have enough other DIY to do at the
moment, so I could spend a little instead.

Mal