Re: Re: Solwise Router

I don't have numbers to back it up, but that was my experience, yes.

I used a Zyxel USB "ADSL modem", using Checkpoint Firewall-1 as a
NAT router
to share the connection.

(This is NOT the bottleneck - I have used Checkpoint on similar hardware to
share much faster ethernet connections INSIDE a router for clients.)

Subjectively, the difference once I replaced the USB modem with a 2600 was
enormous. Pages had far lower latency in appearing.

In terms of "uptime" and "support", the router wins
hands down.

I do NOT feel qualified to comment on the reliability / throughput of the
2600 compared to the "el cheapo" routers, since I have no
experience of
them. Typically, if I'm putting in internet connectivity for clients, it's
still in the land of leased lines and firewalls, not ADSL and routers.
Where
these clients have needed an ADSL line IN ADDITION, we've typically gone
with the Vigor.

In case anyone's wondering, the clients who've wanted ADSL _in addition_ to
a leased line have typically hosted externally-facing websites on the
leased
lines, and generally wanted an ADSL connection to a completely different
ISP
just to check the site works from a completely separate network :-)

M.