Re: Data Centre Memories

>I used to work for Standard Life, and got to work in the datacentre at
>Tanfield in Edinburgh a few times - it's bomb hardened, built in two
>halves, and engineered that at least half of it would survive a 747
>crashing into the building - something they considered as a risk many
>years before 9/11

Until the take-over by RBoS, one of NatWest's Data Centres was Just off the
M1 @ Kegworth...

...about 1000 yards from the point where the British Midland 737 undershot
the runway.

I'm sure it was just a company version of an urban myth but people claimed
one of the Data Centre masts had been clipped during the accident. Although
I joined well after the event, providing and testing fail-over between Data
Centres (the other was @ Stone) was always taken *very* seriously.
(providing much scope for the techies to compete for the "fastest trip
in a
hire car between the 2 data centres" cup)

Dean