RE: [OT] Underfloor heating advice

With the Devi-Heat electric system the insulated heating wired is embedded
into the screed. The wire carries mains voltage (IIRC) but as the bit under
the floor is insulated so you don't get a shock. It's essentially a
domestic version of industrial heat-trace cable.

Where you do need to watch the regs carefully is how and where you
terminate the 'under-floor' wire to the normal house mains wiring. When I
installed mine, I terminated the cables behind a false wall, with an access
plate hidden behind a mirror i.e. well away from moisture ingress and
impossible to touch unless you'd first removed about 15 screws ;-) The
controller was fitted into the wall outside the bathroom, next to the
isolation switch for the extract fan.

The basic controller is thermostat-based only, with a temp sensor embedded
into the screed at the same time the heating mat is installed. You turn the
system on, set the temperature and the system cuts in & out to maintain
a given floor temp. More recent controllers incorporate time-based
switching too.

Any questions give me a shout, either here or over on UK_Selfbuild :-)

Cheers,

Tim.

+

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx