Re: [OT] Credit card fraud

How do they get your card number, expiry date, name and phone number?
Thats the more scary thing... unless you got caught by a phishing scam or
something.

Still, like the viri that spread using the "this is a cool program,
have a
look" method relying on the fact people offer to much trust to
dishonest
people.

anyhow.

ali

Ho Yin Ng said:
> I can confirm this is happening as in Taiwan it has been going on for
> about
> 1 year and people have had their bank accounts emptied. It also
happened
> my girlfriends dad when I was there ... But he was lucky! He had no
money
> in his account! So this is not a joke this is very real.
>
> Ho yin

> Visa and MasterCard Scam
>
> It works like this:
> Person calling says, "This is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm
calling
> from the Security and Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is
12460.
> Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm
> calling
> to verify. This would be on your VISA card. Did you purchase an
> Anti-Telemarketing Device / any expensive item for £497.99 from a
> marketing
> company based in anywhere?"
>
> When you say "No". The caller continues with, "Then we
will be issuing a
> credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and
the
> charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern
that
> flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent
> (gives you your address), is that correct?" You say,
"Yes".

> The caller continues . . . "I will be starting a fraud
investigation. If
> you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your
> card
> and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control #".
Then
> gives
> you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"
>
> Caller then says he "needs to verify you are in possession of
your card.
> Turn the card over.  There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are 1234
whatever,
> the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are in possession
of
> the card. These are the numbers you use to make internet purchases, to
> prove you have the card.  Read me the 3 numbers." Then he says
"That is
> correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or
> stolen,
> and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?
Don't
> hesitate to call back if you do."
>
> You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the
card
> number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within
20
> minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security
> department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new
purchase
> of £497.99 WAS put on our card.
>
> Long story made short, we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA
> card
> and they are issuing a new number. What the scam wants is the 3-digit
> number and once the charge goes through, they keep charging every few
> days.
> By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming,
and
> then it's harder to actually file a fraud report.
>
> REMEMBER: THE REAL VISA REINFORCED THAT THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR
ANYTHING