[OT] Credit card fraud

I can confirm this is happening as in Taiwan it has been going on for
about=
=20
1 year and people have had their bank accounts emptied. It also happened
to=
=20
my girlfriends dad when I was there ... But he was lucky! He had no
money=20
in his account! So this is not a joke this is very real.

Ho yin

Visa and MasterCard Scam

It works like this:
Person calling says, "This is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm
calling=20
>from
Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm
calling=
=20
to verify. This would be on your VISA card. Did you purchase an=20
Anti-Telemarketing Device / any expensive item for =A3497.99 from a
marketi=
ng=20
company based in anywhere?"

When you say "No". The caller continues with, "Then we will
be issuing a=20
credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the=20
charges range from =A3297 to =A3497, just under the =A3500 purchase
pattern=
that=20
flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to=20
(gives you your address), is that correct?" You say, "Yes".

The caller continues . . . "I will be starting a fraud investigation.
If=20
you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your
card=
=20
and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control #". Then
gives=
=20
you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Caller then says he "needs to verify you are in possession of your
card.
Turn the card over.  There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are 1234 whatever,=20
the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are in possession of=20
the card. These are the numbers you use to make internet purchases, to=20
prove you have the card.  Read me the 3 numbers." Then he says
"That is=20
correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or
stolen,=
=20
and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?
Don't=20
hesitate to call back if you do."

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the
card=20
number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20=20
minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security=20
department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase=
=20
of =A3497.99 WAS put on our card.

Long story made short, we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA
card=
=20
and they are issuing a new number. What the scam wants is the 3-digit=20
number and once the charge goes through, they keep charging every few
days.=
=20
By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and=20
then it's harder to actually file a fraud report.

REMEMBER: THE REAL VISA REINFORCED THAT THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING ON
THE CARD (THEY ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT US)!!!!