Re: 1TB Raid?

  • Subject: Re: 1TB Raid?
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:58:52 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "paul_watkin" <groups@w...> wrote:
> I asked the question when I bought it and I was told yes you
could,
> however I only installed 3 drives initially as a safegaurd so I
could
> create another seperate array if that info turned out to be
> incorrect. Albeit at a high cost in that I would have two
redundant
> drives in the box.
>
> Anyone else have experience of this?

I had the promise ultra 6000 (or something like that!) which allowed
hot swap of up to 6 ide drives. As far as I remember the rule was
that adding drives to the array was possible, but all would be
treated as the same size as the smallest drive. So, for example, if
you had 3 x 250Gb now and added 3 x 300Gb in the future, it would be
seen as 6 x 250Gb. This also applies if you replace existing drives,
so 3 x 250Gb swapped out one by one to 3 x 300Gb would still be seen
as 3 x 250Gb.

Hope that makes sense!

P.S. My controller died in a lightning storm, one of the only ways
Raid5 can still let you down :-(

P.P.S If anyone wants 3 hot swap caddies for use with the promise
ultra I have some available :-)