RE: Speed trap detection

  • Subject: RE: Speed trap detection
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:13:45 +0100

Hi Graham

Up until I changed my Merc to one with Sat Nav built in I was using TomTom
v2 with a Holux GPS Mouse on an Ipaq. I have to say that TomTom is
excellen=
and quite possibly better than the Merc system (Although that is still very
good.)
A few comments:
The whole affair is rather 'Heath Robinson' with leads trailing for power
etc. You also have to dismantle the entire thing every time you park and
leave the car! (I'm lazy ;-))
In central London and built up cities I often found that I had to put the
gps mouse on the roof of the car (It was magnetic) otherwise it would loose
its lock sat on the dashboard. Usually at the most critical moment!!!=20
If I was going to do it again I would find a decent fitted in-car kit for
the hand held you are buying. I guess they must exist, but I never got
roun=
to looking.
The only other issue I faced was that I tend to like to listen to music
whilst driving and at a fairly high volume :-) Then you cant here the voice
commands or warnings! The merc system neatly fades the music down, speaks
the command and fades the music back up, neat! Perhaps there is also a car
kit that will connect to the radio mute as with some phone kits?
All in all TomTom is hugely capable as a software package, just need to get
the hardware ergonomics right :-)

My 2p worth!

Many thanks
=20