From: "Chris Bond" <chris@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 8:15 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] 1TB Raid?

Well sorta on topic for a change cos its for my HA stuff =)

Just wondering the cheapest solutions people have found to implement
a 1TB Raid.

Looks like 4 x 250GB SATA drives are about going to be about £480.
Im not sure about what case to host these in or what raid card to go
for, i'd want RAID5 minimum on it incase on of the drives go tits up
and thats all my mp3's gone.  It also needs to be queit as it'll be
in my office.

Phil found a nice firewire case that holds 8 ide drives, im a bit
nervous in using software raid because of the data on there.  SATA
drives are only about £2 more these days but offer better speed,
tider cables etc seems a more sensible choice than IDE.

It would be nice if i had the option to upgrade by adding a few extra
250GB drives at a later stage too, with RAID5 im taking about 33%
loss leaving about 670GB of space.  Then I can take it upto a true
RAID5 1TB later on.

The lacie 1TB bigger disk looks amazing value for money considering
its size and connections on it (works out at about £660), but once
again its lacking RAID5.

Any ideas or suggestions, without going OTT price wise - ideally i'd
like to come in no more than £600-700 for the lot which seems hard
considering all of the above.