Re: [OTish] Solar powered access points.

  • Subject: Re: [OTish] Solar powered access points.
  • From: "Matthew Miles" <m_miles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:03:09 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Andy Laurence" <andy@a...> wrote:
> From: Matthew Miles [mailto:m_miles@b...]=20
> > Just wondering if anyone has a clue as to how to do this!  MAplin
> > sell some nice 3V panels for =C2=A34 - the router is 9V so if I
link=20
3
> > panels together would it work?=20
>=20
> Probably not.  What sort of current do these produce?  You need a=20
solar panel capable of delivering the required voltage at the=20
required current (mA).  Then of course, there's night time, and dark=20
days.

The panels from Maplin are designed to power a CD player etc so=20
thats why I assumed they would work...
>=20
> > Alternatively, is my best bet using the panels to slow charge a
> > battery that feeds the AP?
>=20
> Definitely!  You just need to make sure the battery is big enough=20
to not go dead overnight.  Make sure the panels have enough power to=20
charge the battery whilst also supplying the AP though.
>=20
> > Just a thought, as it would be useful for remote deployment of=20
AP's
> > in a mesh environment for local communitites.
>=20
> It was done a couple of years ago IIRC.  You need large panels=20
though (couple of feet wide).
>=20
> > I am, as usual, trying to do this as cheap as possible (looked at
> > generating 2.2KwP a day - but that costs =C2=A326k!  Bit steep
> > concidering it only knock =C2=A3100 a year off the leccy bill!).
>=20
> Last I checked, it cost more for the panels than the cost of the=20
electricity they produce in their lifetime.

I know, thats why I discounted that idea - its a rel shame as its=20
much cleaner power.  Although the government offers incentives its=20
still not worth it yet!

It was only a thought I was tatting with really.  As its gonna be=20
that much to set up (cost outweights need) I think i'll put in onto=20
the back boiler til I win the lottery or such!

Thanks for the help anyway.

regards,

Matt