Latest message you have seen: Re: Comfort Design Question

Re: OT : Ceramic Floor Tiling

Ben

It depends on the type of glue used as to whether you can tile straight
over
the top or not.

Some old glues will prevent the new ceramic tile adhesive from going off.
If
you intend levelling the floor with a latex screed before tiling, you
*must*
lift the old black "gunk"

The safest bet (although messy and expensive) is to lift the old adhesive
using a scrabbler which you can hire from HSS or similar. The machine
basically removes the top mm or 3 of the screed, taking the old glue with
it.

Your link was broken and may well have been pointing to a scrabbler anyway!
It's a messy job but if you don't want your new ceramic tiles lifting, it's
probably a good idea to get ride of the old black stuff.

HTH

Regards

Neil