Pics with Sony Wired Remotes

  • Subject: Pics with Sony Wired Remotes
  • From: "Robert Chasmer" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:10:58 +0100

Guys,

With my limited circuit building skills, I was hoping to pick someones
brains.  I'm hoping to build a simple interface to a sony wired remote to a
PC, as shown here:
http://www.armory.com/~charlie/empeg1/

>From the diagram I see I need the following:-
* 78L05 (Voltage Regulator)
* PIC12C508
* .1uF (Capacitor)

Assuming I go shopping at Maplins what bits do I need?
* I can't seem to see the 78L05 (is it just a small 7805?)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=03081322085846&moduleno=1
0529

* Which one of these PICS do I need and are there any differences:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?moduleno=13403

* Its says the 0.1uF capacitor is a critical component, get the most
accurate you can (not just a 20% ceramic disc).  Now this is nice advice,
but there are hundreds of different types of capacitors.  Whats the
difference? http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search/results.asp?Menu=10

Once I've got the PIC how do I program it???  Is there an idiots guide
somewhere?

If I can get this working then I think I'll be willing to spend the £128
for
one of these to add to my shower:
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId
=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=13109764

Thanks (feeling cheeky)

Rob

--
______   __   _   ______   ______
/ ___   / /  /  / __    / _____

wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest some kind of water resistant remote control ?
> > This is only for radio 3/4 whilst in the shower.
> > Budget - < £100 for the remote
>
> Hmmm, I think my solution blows your budget, remote around
> $129 (or £158
> from edworthys in the UK), with a cheap sony head unit an
> additional say
> £65?, plus a 12v transformer.
>
> I have a set of these Sony Marine Speakers (XS-MP61MKII)
> installed on the
> wall in my shower/steam cubical.  (The enclosure is made with
> plain Mermaid
> waterproof wall panels, rather than tiles)
> http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=3_30_1875
> There currently just hooked up via a speaker switch to a stereo in the
> office, so I can listen to MP3s via the PC.  The speakers
> sound great, but
> once in the shower, I'm not able to adjust the volume or skip
> tracks etc.
>
> I'd been planning on geting one of these Sony Marine Remotes
> (RMXM10W).  I
> think this remote looks great, I've not been able to find
> anything even
> remotely similar (perhaps thats easier to interface).
> http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?id=5901
> http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?id=detailed_in
> fo&i=158RMXM10
> http://www.edworthys.co.uk/edworthys/prodlist.asp?catID=37&pro
> duct_category=
> Accessories
>
> These remotes are supposed to control a Sony Car Stereo with
> Uni-link (CD
> Changer control).  That is any Sony HU with a "C" or a
"U" or
> a "CA" in the
> model NUMBER section (not the letter section) IS UniLink
> Compatible. E.g.
> CDX-C7850R, ignoring the CDX bit, the C785.. indicates its compatible.
> http://www.cus.org.uk/~cleggy/discus/messages/5/73.html?106190
5093  I think
M in the model number might also work.  So with a bit of shopping around I
should be able to find a cheap compatible head unit, to hide in a cubboard.
http://www.onestopcaraudio.co.uk/pages/products.asp?section=3&subsection=0&m
anu=15
http://www.onestopcaraudio.co.uk/pages/products.asp?section=1&subsection=304
&manu=15

My ultimate aim would have been to hook this remote directly to my PC, via
some sort of interface board or something.  Buts its looking like I'll need
to get a cheap Sony Head Unit to go with it.  Various people have been
looking at reverse engineering the Uni-link protocol so that their PC can
pretend to be an CD-Auto changer.  As well as the PC recieving the Button
http://www.cus.org.uk/~cleggy/
http://www.mictronics.de/
http://gnunilink.sourceforge.net/

Has anyone else looked at these projects?  I think I'd need some help in
building the boards and programming a PIC.  Anyone else able to help?

Rob
--