Latest message you have seen: Re: HA Object Model or Taxonomy?

RE: Re: CCTV on CAT5

Thanks Keith, - there's only 1 small fly in the ointment for that
particular
plan though....

This PIR is in my front hall, just above the front door.... The hall was
the
*very first* part of the house to be refurbished when we first moved in
(many years ago now...), - so you know what's coming next don't you...

Yup, - back then, I didn't think to rewire the hall lights for X10... - I
still have the "traditional" double switch, one being a 2-way
circuit for
the upstairs landing. And it's all plastered in and newly-decorated, and
SWMBO won't let me mess it all up again to rewire... :-(

This is of course much to my annoyance now, and I'm constantly kicking
myself for it....

But hey, - at least I ran enough CAT5 to the kitchen eh! :-)

Paul G.

>From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: CCTV on CAT5
>Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:12:21 +0100
>
>Hi Paul,
>
> > I have a need to mount a CCTV camera very near to an existing PIR
> > position.
> > It would make things massively easier if I could utilise the
existing
>PIR
> > cable rather than having to run a new cable to the same position.
> > (not long
> > decorated, so little likelihood of being able to chase a new
run..)

> > There are 2 spare cores in the cable to the PIR that I can use
for the
> > video, but I want to know if I can share the 12V line with the
> > PIR to power
> > the camera?
> >
> > The specs for the camera are:
> >
> > 12VDC +/- 10%
> > 110mA (IR off) 260ma (IR on)
> >
> > The PIR is wired with DEOL resistors if that makes any
difference...

> > without checking, I'm not certain if there are enough spare cores
in the
> > cable to be able to run a pair dedicated to powering the camera
(then
>I'd
> > obviously need 4), - I know that there are definately 2 cores
available
> > though...
> >

>The cable should handle it fine provided your alarm PSU can supply the
>extra
>current, particularly if the IR LED's arent used.
>
>You dont need the IR LED's because (as this is a list about AUTOMATION)
if