Latest message you have seen: Re: HA Object Model or Taxonomy?

RE: Re: CCTV on CAT5

  • Subject: RE: Re: CCTV on CAT5
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:12:21 +0100

Hi Paul,

> I have a need to mount a CCTV camera very near to an existing PIR
> position.
> It would make things massively easier if I could utilise the existing
PIR
> cable rather than having to run a new cable to the same position.
> (not long
> decorated, so little likelihood of being able to chase a new run..)
>
> There are 2 spare cores in the cable to the PIR that I can use for the
> video, but I want to know if I can share the 12V line with the
> PIR to power
> the camera?
>
> The specs for the camera are:
>
> 12VDC +/- 10%
> 110mA (IR off) 260ma (IR on)
>
> The PIR is wired with DEOL resistors if that makes any difference...
>
> without checking, I'm not certain if there are enough spare cores in
the
> cable to be able to run a pair dedicated to powering the camera (then
I'd
> obviously need 4), - I know that there are definately 2 cores
available
> though...

The cable should handle it fine provided your alarm PSU can supply the
extra
current, particularly if the IR LED's arent used.

You dont need the IR LED's because (as this is a list about AUTOMATION) if
it is dark and something moves in the room, the colocated PIR sends a
message to the nerve centre of the Gordon International Hotel Complex and
switches the lights on :-)

Keith