Re: OT Domain Snipping

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:42:33 +0100, "Graham Howe"
<graham@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>I'm also after a domain, according to nominet it was up for renewal at
>the beginning of May and it looks pretty definite that the company that
>originally registered it is no more. The nominet whois page is now
>showing as
>
>*** This Registration has been SUSPENDED ***
>
>Does anyone know how long it's likley to be before I can register it?
If
>I go with something like the 123reg service, is that guaranteed to grab
>it? Or am I better off just checking the whois page every day?

It's not entirely clear from Nominet's web site how long the delay is
between suspension and cancellation. Their detagged domains FAQ still
mentions 6-8 weeks, and states that they deliberately don't give an
exact timescale to make it more difficult for snipers.

However
http://www.nominet.org.uk/News/NewsStories/PositiveRenewalsSummary.html
(http://tinyurl.com/ytffv if that
wraps), which describes their new
renewal system that is now in effect (or is coming into effect), says
"In the absence of a renewal, 60 days after suspension the domain name
will be cancelled.". That fits with my experience a couple of months
ago - the domain that I was watching became available almost exactly
60 days after it was suspended.

David.