Re: Airconditioning

A couple of years ago I bought one of the 12000BTU ones from B&Q just
after
summer was over when they were flogging them off cheap for about £150.

For my small office (12ft x 8ft), with 3 servers, 3 pcs, switches, rack
equipment and all manner of other gadgets, it keeps the temperature to
around 78 degrees.  This might not sound that "cool", but in the
heights of
summer when the temperature around the rest of the house is in the high
90's, it's like walking in to a fridge in comparison!  Prior to installing
the unit the temperature used to regularly reach 108 degrees, with all
manner of interesting effects on the pc kit!

To get the best out of it though I too have drilled a hole in the wall and
lagged the exhaust pipe to vent it properly.  I've also insulated around
the
door frame, but left a 10mm gap at the bottom of the door and the floor -
the theory being that this way cool(er) air from the hallway is sucked into
the room to replace that which is being vented to the outside.

The only downside is that the machine tends to be on all through the day
and
it's noisy, but for me the room was noisy any way with all the pc kit in
there so it hasn't made much difference, and I tend to have music on all
day
anyway.

Martyn