RE: Whole House Audio Questions

  • Subject: RE: Whole House Audio Questions
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:59:30 +0100

Hi Mark,

I would also echo Stuarts post - having the digital, indeed true IP
network distribution of audio using the Exstreamer preserves quality and I
would look to site each player at the needed end point rather than
centrally. The volume management on the Exstreamer allows for this running
into an amplification 'brick'. There are many multizone amps available and
also pre-amps but they tend to be made for these high end markets and carry
a price tag accordingly. Rotel used to make a 4 stereo zone amp (8 chanels)
that was at a good price but not IR vol level adjustable.
The thing you would have to think about more carefully is 'synching'
audio across zones. The Slim players do this really well and AIUI so do the
Exstreamers but I was a bit surprised to find this was an optional extra
feature and I only have one player so I havent tried it.

> One challenge I have is on amplification. Barix do a
> version of the Exstreamer with a built in 10watt per
> channel amplifier - this will not be sufficient for my
> requirements. I am therefore looking for a suitable
> amplifier of 30 watts per channel or more that I can link
> to the output of the Exstreamers. At present the volume
> control (via the web interface) of the Exstreamer seems to
> boost the line level, which, when I tested it at higher
> levels created distortion when put through my standard
> hifi system. Should I therefore be looking for some kind
> of pre-amplifier stage that sits between the power
> amplifier and Exstreamer so that the Exstreamer line level
> stays constant, or is boosting the line level exactly what
> a pre-amp does?
> Can anyone suggest such a pre-amp (or integrated
> amplifier) that can be controlled via an IP interface and
> will not break the bank?

The distortion you are seeing is I suspect caused by the output of
the Exstreamer being too high for the amp and hence clipping occurs - a
pre-amp wouldn't help, if you need more volume then you need a beefier amp
capable of taking the mid level output from the Exstreamer and delivering
the vol you need. I wouldn't expect distortion to be actually appearing on
the Exstreamer audio although I know there were some problems with the
power
adaptors supplied with the Exstreamers and some people have changed them to
avoid just this issue. Laser would know on this.

> The other thing that would be a nice to have is to use the
> whole house audio for sound from TV and video sources that
> would also be centralised. I was thinking of using
> something like Keith Doxey's
> Kat5 Switcher (if/when it arrives!)

Well - I think many share this intention and that certainly moves you back
more to the centralised source type approach but still remote
amplification.
I have taken the view of what's 'here and now' on this due to the
timescales
but at UKHA the prototype switcher was 'here' so what we can say is that
it's getting closer !

You can always route the 'audio' output of a centralised AV system used for
say the TV into an INstreamer and route onwards to the remote ExStreamers.

> or a Nexus for the
> video signal but have the sound come from the appropriate
> zone in the whole house audio system. I am not sure about
> being able to synchronise the video and audio though. I
> would be very grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.
>
> Mark Taylor

Kevin