Re: Whole House Audio Questions

  • Subject: Re: Whole House Audio Questions
  • From: "markttay" <markttay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:46:55 -0000

Thanks for the replies so far, I thought I would address the points
that have been raised.

The reason for going for a centralised solution, is that I do not
want any equipment visible in the rooms apart from the ceiling
speaker grills. I am wary of a solution that has to have electrical
equipment such as amps or streaming media devices hidden in voids or
in cupboards. A central "rack" with streaming and amplification
would, IMHO make the system easier to maintain and upgrade.

I too originally thought of CAT5 as the cabling scheme. But given
that the end equipment in this case is, and will always be
loudspeakers it seems simpler to run speaker cable. I am using CAT5
for everything else but given the devices you would need at each end
it seems like overkill to drive speakers

In the design of the house I have incrporated a home cinema /
listening room where I will have my conventional hifi system so I
consider the whole house system primarily for background music
or "non-serious listening" if there is such a thing.

Thanks
Mark