Latest message you have seen: Re: DIN Rail Support Brackets?

RE: Re: [OT] WAN throughput comparisons

  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] WAN throughput comparisons
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:33:51 +0100

=20

Yup - you are missing something.

You don't need that much bandwidth!

I'm doing the same thing at the moment using good old 100Mbit and have had
=
6
full bitrate movies playing with all the data being drawn across the LAN
from the one server.

Also you don't *NEED* that HD bandwidth either - I've had 4 full bitrate
movies playing back off one firewire hard disc without stuttering at all
(haven't tried more than four).

What I plan to do is chuck a gigabit card in the server, use a 48 x 10/100
=
+
2 x 10/100/1000 NetGear Switch (about =A3300) and robert is most definitely
your mothers brother...

...*WAY* more bandwidth there than you need for four movies at a time,
probably enough for a dozen!*

(*hard disc access times permitting)

Phil