Latest message you have seen: RE: distribution and remote control of multiple sky boxes

RE: New Comfort keypad install dilemma

  • Subject: RE: New Comfort keypad install dilemma
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:52:58 +0100

Well, I did it "hot" anyway, so the problem never arose. The new
keypad is
now up & running.

However, what I thought the problem was going to be, wouldn't (if I'm
right), have been solved by any method involving Comfort...

If I understand it correctly, the external bell-box contains its own
battery
which is able to sound the siren independently of any external alarm panel
settings... It is prevented from doing so by the 12V supply from the alarm
panel holding the circuit open (I presume via a relay)... Thus the presence
of the alarm panel is the only thing that stops the external siren from
sounding... Take away the 12V coming from the panel, and the siren goes
off,
and keeps going off until either the battery runs out (which could be
hours)
or until the hold-off current is replaced. I imagine it's done this way so
that the alarm isn't defeated simply by cutting the cable to the bell-box
(doing so would set it sounding)...

I could of course be completey wrong, but that's how I believe its supposed
to work... (makes sense to me anyway). Thus if I had totally powered down
the panel to make the modifications to the wiring, the external sounder
would be going off all the while i was doing it....

Anyway, like I said, not a problem after all, since I just did it without
turning the panel off, and didn't have any problems doing it that way...

Paul G.