Latest message you have seen: Smart Metering Privacy

Mainlobby vs custom application (web server)?

  • Subject: Mainlobby vs custom application (web server)?
  • From: "alanmiddleton74" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:05:04 -0000

Hi all,

Looking to control my cd and dvd changer (and the associated tv, amp,
slink-e, ocelot etc) and trying to work out if I should use mainlobby
etc or custom built webpages. At some point it will be extended to
x10 lighting but I'm not in a rush for that.

Is the advantage of mainlobby that it's already assembled and I just
need to glue the pieces together? or is there something I'm missing?
eg mainlobby is quicker, lighter on network traffic, offers some
killer feature that I'm overlooking etc.

At the moment there seems to be a lot of work and cost associated
with mainlobby since it doesn't support all the hardware I have so I
need to add girder, third party plugins etc into the mix and I'm
starting to wonder if my own build might actually be simpler + a http
interface appeals for controllers.

I know there are advocates of mainlobby in the groups, so thought I'd
sanity check I wasn't missing something.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.