Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Smart Metering Privacy

Re: Servers in the garage

  • Subject: Re: Servers in the garage
  • From: "Tim Fletcher" <timfletcher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:02:58 +0100

During my years as a rep demonstrating scientific equipment I often had
cause to use machines that had been left in sub-zero temperatures overnight
without any problems - ever.  Well, none relating to the temperature
anyway.

They sometimes got quite wet if they were brought into warm humid labs from
the cold but the case was the only problem and you would be surprised how
quickly a machine warms up once booted.

I would be prepared to lay a bet you could leave the server in the freezer
overnight and it would fire OK.  Didn't someone propose a fix (that worked
BTW) for a dicky HDD of putting it in the freezer!!!

If you were concerned you could always stand it on a polystyrene base to
protect it from the worst of the conducted heat loss) like tender potted
plants!

That's my 10 Cents anyway.

Tim.