Latest message you have seen: Fw: Long HDMI cable or HMDI-over-Cat5 extender?

Re: simple cheap NAS ..now.. any SAMBA gurus about?

UKHA wrote:

> I've installed an X-less Fedora Core 2, with SAMBA and configured the
> smb.conf file, the PC's can see the Linux box and the shares, they
each
> correctly see only their respective shares + a temp share. However,
one of
> the PC's keeps asking for the password when I try to open that  PC's
> share,
> the other PC can open it's share but can't copy anything to it
> (despite the
> share being read/write)... Neither can copy anything to the temp
share...

Have you set the samba users passwords?
'man smbpasswd' should give you all the info you need.

> I'm guess there may be an error in the .conf, so I've installed SWAT
and
> added it to the services file. When I run SWAT it just sits there and
> doesn't return to the prompt, is this normal?
> Even then, I can't get into the SWAT web page (even in demo mode) from
> either PC, I reinstalled it with a firewall and it does the same
thing...
> Any clues?

Which port does SWAT use? Is it that port open on the machine?

Jim