Latest message you have seen: RE: IR controlled power strip/plug?

Re: Re: (OT) Help!! - Lost Gb's during Hard Drive format!!

Hmm, what is correct? In computer usage 1K has been 1024 since the time
that it was easier (and cheaper) to make 1024 bit memories than 1000 bit
memories. You got the extra 24 bits for free. It was also easier and
usually took less memory to program around 1024 byte or similar chunks of
data.

Now this may not be the correct usage of K compared with the more general
meaning, but it has its roots in history, and is very well understood. If
someone describes a 1K buffer to me in context of programming I know they
mean 1024 bytes. So in that sense the power of two version is correct.

Power of two sizes played a part in disk sizes too at first, sectors are
commonly 512 bytes, and the number of sectors was limited by binary field
sizes, so it's not surprising that one expects HD sizes still to be quoted
in computer K not engineering K.

Pete