Re: Kiosk PC & UPS question

> PS
> Anyone know why PC manufacturers have never tried putting a laptop
type
> battery in normal PC's to do something like this?
> Just enough power to move it about without shutting the machine down
would
> be very handy, or am I missing something?

two reasons that come to mind....
1. £££'s. To add any form of battery inside the PC would add cost to the
manufacturing process..and the cost would be passed to us..the customer
2. In the "good old days" hard disks didn't like to be moved
whilst
spinning - big gyroscopic effect and no shock control. Platter spinning
around at 5000 rpm with the heads floating above the surface of the
platter - one touch and your disk could be toast. I remember one old
machine
I had that I used to have to run a "park" command before turning
it off - as
the heads didn't autoretract to the parking zone. I've got several platters
that have had head crashes- - they are used as coffee cup table mats

Arrr.. the sound of mag layers being ripped off the alu platter after a
head
crash on a LSMD .. now that takes me back !

Davey