RE: Re: HomeVision access control???

Quoting Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@hotmail.com>:

> >Sliced a chunk out of my fingertip last week opening a can of
Tuna.

> Ouch! - and, - you mean to say you don't have an automated, electric
> tin-opener?.... - shame on you!

I do have an electric can opener somewhere but prefer a manual one...its
quicker. I had actually opened the can and had pressed down with the lid to
drain the water. As I was lifting the lid out of the can, the can decided
leap out of my hands, tried to catch it but the can hit the floor (much to
the
delight of the cat) and the only thing I caught was the edges of the lid
:-(

> Hmm... well IIRC the one I pointed to does store about 25 individual
> fingerprint registrations, so you could register all of your fingers,
all of
> SWMBOs, and at least one whole hands' worth of Amber's... (presumably
Kye
> won't be needing access-authentication for a few more years yet!!)

Agreed, that would be enough for a home.

> Hmm... I only have limited experience of actually using these
technologies,

> - specifically with fingerprint recognition, but the experiences *I*
had
> were all quite positive... I was never once able to fool the
> fingerprint-based logon system when I wasn't enrolled into it, and
didn't
> experience a single failure after I had been enrolled... but I guess
that
> was in ideal conditions, and of course this may vary in the real
world....

For loggin onto a PC with a handful of users it will be fine, just a few
records to chack against.

> >In order to get a fast enough response time you need to know who
the person
> >claims to be before you start.
> >
> That't completely true of course, but not IMHO a problem in the
application
> of entry control to a private dwelling... - How many people do you
give a
> copy of your front door key to?... I'll wager that: a) it's a very
small
> number, and b) you know exactly who they are...

I probably think big because I spent about 9 months working on an Access
control system that had to cater for 250,000 users :-)

> >Biometrics can be made more accurate by using it as a means of
Verification
> >rather than Identification.
> >

> Absolutely... but... so long as the other method isn't token-based. -
so
> basically a biometric, plus a PIN number.... but what about two
> biometrics.... how about fingerprint, plus facial recognition?... I'm
> aspiring to achieve the aim of making it as passive and transparent as
> possible for the end-user. - Entering a PIN number is too onerous a
> requirement to get past SWMBO.... if a passive system like a facial
> recognition could have done the IDENTIFICATION phase whilst SWMBO was
> walking up the front path, so that she only had to do a quick/easy
finger
> scan to complete the VERIFICATION, that's got much higher WAF.... (as
long
> as it worked!)

It needs to be a unique number like a UserID so you can identify the one
biometric record to match against. Trying to identify a person by matching
one
of a hundred fingerprint records to one of 50 facial records (assuming 50
users
registering 2 fingers) could possibly as a worst case require testing
agains
5000 combinations before the user was correctly identified.

Using the biometric to confirm that this is who they say they are is very
fast.
An RF tag requires no action on the part of the user other that having the
tag
about their person. As they walk upto the fingerprint reader the tag
identifies
who they should be, the finger on the sensor confirms this.

As I said, they just need the RF tag on (or in) their person :-)

> Obviously, all IMHO, and I'll confess up front to being a bit of a fan
of
> biometric authentication in principle...

Paul Gordon has just volunteered to be implanted with a chip at UKHA 2004
:-)

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com