Re: HomeVision access control???

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: HomeVision access control???
  • From: "matt_miles_uk" <m_miles@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:30:50 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

Is it possible to use one of the layers?  Whatever the reader can=20
read?  For example, library cards have a unique 8 digit number=20
written to them, and thats all.  Would it be possible to use that?

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Tawn, Jonathan"
<jonathan.tawn@j...>=20
wrote:
> You need a card writer ... .they cost around =A31000... depending
on=20
where you
> go ....
>=20
> I don't know if it's the same with 'door access' coding .. but on=20
bank
> cards, I think there are 3 'layers' or 'strips' of data ... one=20
being the
> acct number .. one being bank details and I think one being your=20
pin.... I
> *think* you may need specific software to erase the existing data=20
and write
> fresh
>=20
> Hth.
> JT
>=20
>=20
control???
>=20
> 		My incredibly clever idea was to use old (ie out of=20
date so
> no use=20
> 		to anyone) bank or loyalty cards.  I understand they=20
can
wrote:
> 		> It is, BUT how do you WRITE the cards.....
> 		>=20
> 		> Lee
There
> are quite=20
> 		>   few magnetic swipe card readers being sold on=20
ebay at
> the moment=20
> 		for
> 		>   less than =A320 each... they have an RS232=20
connection.
> They output
> 		>   ASCII code from any card swiped.  Could HV or=20
any other=20
> 		controller
> 		>   for that matter be programmed to open an=20
electric lock
> if the
> 		>   correct card is swiped?
> 		>=20
> 		>   Just a thought as it seems like a MUCH cheaper=20
door
> access system
> 		>   than comercially available ones!
> 		>=20
> 		>=20
> 		>   Regards,
> 		>=20
> 		>   Matt
> 		>=20
> 		>=20
> 		>=20
> 		>=20
> 		>   UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
> 		>   http://www.ukha2004.com
> 		>=20
> 		>   http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
> 		>   Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
> 		>   Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> 		>=20
> 		>=20
> 		>=20
> 		>
email to:
> 		>=20
> 		>     c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to=20
the Yahoo!
> Terms=20
> 		of Service.
> 		>=20
> 		>=20
> 		>=20
> 		> [Non-text portions of this message have been=20
removed]
*
*
*