Re: OT: CD Prices at CD WOW

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: CD Prices at CD WOW
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:49:35 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Harrison wrote:

[massive snip]

Great post, all of which is true

> ... we were offered a deal whereby the Canadian
> distributor offered us a higher price per unit in
> exchange for "sole distribution rights." That is to
> saythat we would not sell to anyone else in Canada AND
> place restrictions on the sales to other distributors that
> THEY couldn't sell to Canada....

And this is exacty where the grey market comes from.  In your
example, someone could get stock legally (ie no law being broken)
>from
distributor.  Now you can rant and rave, and wave contracts, and
threaten civil actions, or discontinue distribution to HK (and thus
deprive yourself of sales) but its all expensive and risky.

In Europe, care of a crazy EU judgement, parallel importing against
the wishes of the brand owner is not permitted, and taking this
legal approach is much simpler, with a guaranteed outcome.

Job done.

Your rant on the music industry in general is exactly on the mark.
Technology created the music industry, or more accurately the music
distribution business.  Once upon a time, it was hard to press
records, physically move them and hold stock to sell them.  CDs
didnt change much, sure production was easier, but everythung else
remained the same.

Technology has now created the tool to destroy the music business,
The Broadband Revolution makes the whole thing surplus to
requirements.  But the music industry isnt going to do an Arthur
Scargill and watch their empire vanish in a decade.  They are using
politics and arguments about Copyright and DRM to justify their
existance.  And they will probably win, even though they shouldnt.

Arthur would have loved to have had your winter heat delivered by
pipe directly to your home declared illeagal, and that you had to
have your heat delivered in sacks.  Which is exactly what the music
industry is convincing those with The Power to make the rules
believe...

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com