Re: Laser Launch New C-Bus Website!

Gareth,

The problem with launching a range of xAP products to SELL is one of CE
approval. Certification is not cheap, and the manufacturer needs to be
relatively assured of a certain volume of sales before launching in the
European market.

This is pretty much what happened to the xAP-PIR range last year. The
demonstration kit I had from Rocket Science (which I got free of charge -
thanks Rocket Science!!! ) was fine, and worked well, but the I understand
that the CE approval costings were too high to start selling. The main
barrier to acceptance was the need to re-wire houses, and this somewhat
limited the market to people prepared to do this (plus new builds)... hence
the volume predictions didn't work out to amortise the costs.

The costs of CE approval for a mains-voltage product are higher again,
since
there's the "Low Voltage" testing to do as well as the EMC
testing. (It's
worth noting that, in CE terms, mains is "low voltage" but 12v
stuff is
below the lower threshold of the CE's definition of "low voltage"
so doesn't
require LV testing!)

2004 is going to be an exciting year for home automation hardware in
Europe.

The top end is still being slugged out between Crestron, Lutron and AMX,
none of which are doing badly. Lutron racked up sales of $150million last
year, so people out there are buying high-end product.

The next level down, where C-Bus competes, is getting busier. There are
some
very interesting new products going to be launched later in the year...

Regards,

Mark