RE: [OT] Mobile Phones

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Mobile Phones
  • From: "Jon Whiten" <jon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:39:46 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

I have an SPV E100 and my wife has the original SPV - both with dongle
camera.  We are both very happy with the phones, especially since I updated
the firmware.  The newer E200 (with Bluetooth and a camera in-built) is to
me what the E100 should have been.  Battery life is OK (better after the
update) and I do like the ability to web-browse on the handset.  As with
the
PocketPC devices, integration with Outlook is excellent, but maybe not
relevant if you do not use Outlook.

Be aware that if you travel to North America that whilst the phones are
tri-band they are not in the same sense as say a Nokia handset.  You need
pre-select either the 800/1800 GSM band (for UK and rest of world) or 1900
for USA, etc. and the handset has to re-boot after switching over.  The
worst of this though is that you do not necessarily know that you need to
change the settings - "Network denied" is the only message you
get - and
this was a problem during a trip we had in November..

The downside is Orange as a company (all departments it would seem) as I
have had billing and fulfilment issues from every department I have dealt
with.

On balance, the phones are great though!

Regards

Jon Whiten
http://www.whiten.co.uk